The Metaverse is rapidly expanding and emerging as the next opportunity to innovate and grow business for tech companies. In this media frenzy and beyond all the definitions including Wikipedia “A metaverse is a network of 3D virtual worlds focused on social connection” or Mark Zuckerberg definition “ You can think about the metaverse as an embodies internet, where instead of just viewing content, you’re in it”, we think that it is important for any tech company to analyze the technology Framework of a B2B Metaverse to position itself in order to grab value . We propose in this article to try to identify this technology framework based on 3 main drivers CONNECTIVITY, ENABLERS and APPs.
The Connectivity of billions of devices existing everywhere in buildings, cities, farms as well as the connectivity of people and their businesses through social network and business transaction will generate terabytes and even exabytes of Big Data captured in Realtime and over time. Beyond the analytics to generate valuable insights, beyond AI/ML to learn predict and act, this big data and Realtime connectivity will help to replicate the physical world into Realtime digital twins that we can experience Mixed Reality to tackle another dimension in the way to collaborate, simulate and develop products as well as exhibit and sell products in B2B. This new dimension/innovation enables the B2B Metaverse by modeling almost everything to its digital twins, not only products but also interactions and relations.
The technology ENABLERS are several and making possible the merge of the virtual and physical world as well as the move back and forth between the two seamlessly. This is creating a new ground for innovation and growth:
- 5G deployment will be key to enable better connectivity especially that 3D, computing in metaverse will require high bandwidth to enable reliable connectivity, open collaborative tools, and better customer experience.
- Cloud for operating, storing and 3D Real-time high-performance computing
- 3D / Digital Twins to replicate physical world to unleash Mixed Reality capabilities, to enable Realtime simulation, then apply AI to improve
- Mixed/Augmented/Extended Reality for merging the physical and digital worlds using headsets and devices. With extended reality, we can step into virtual world and interact with products and avatars as well as bringing content to the physical world to create new interactive experiences
- AI/ML to learn, predict and act
- NFT, cryptocurrency, Blockchain to transact and pay
- High-performance GPUs and Low power components to build the metaverse hardware
- Security by design to create a safe B2B Metaverse environment
In this article we won’t go to detail the requirements and the technology roadmap of the B2B Metaverse however we planned a series of articles with experts to be posted at B2B Metaverse Linkedin Group within the next months.
The APPs are limitless and APPs developers will embrace an exciting new wave of new applications from Augmented/Mixed reality Apps for Factories, geolocation, and collaboration from everywhere, to APPs using digital twins, AI and data to support workers, and to simulate in order to automate tasks as well as improve and prevent.
This first article is a first stone to build together a comprehensive and accessible content about B2B Metaverse. Next one will be about the business framework of a B2B Metaverse.